FFA Cup two-minute wrap

Super Tuesday turned out to be just that, with the first four games of the FFA Cup being everything fans could have hoped. 

The opening fixtures of the cup delivered 15 goals, four red cards, two matches going to extra time, one penalty shootout and the first ‘giant-killing’ of the tournament.  Brisbane Strikers, Olympic FC, Sydney Olympic and South Springvale are the first names into the draw for the next round, which will take place once all 16 teams are known.

Broadmeadow Magic v Brisbane Strikers

It was anything but magic for Broadmeadow as Brisbane Strikers secured a 2-1 away win to progress.  Apart from Thurtell’s clinical finish, the only magic on show was a card trick from referee Tim McGilchrist who sent off Bowling and Piddington for the home team.  Bowling had saved a penalty earlier in the game but managed to get himself sent off as Magic pushed for an equaliser.

Olympic FC v Melbourne Knights

It transpired that the home team were as hot as the halftime souvlaki served at Goodwin Park.  Olympic FC ran out deserved 3-1 winners despite a second half goal from the later red-carded O’Doherty. Not to be left out from events at Magic Park, the Knights goalkeeper Chris May also got himself sent off at the final whistle for remonstrating forcibly with the referee.  Victory for Olympic FC made it two Queensland teams out of two into the next round. 

Manly United v Sydney Olympic

Sydney Olympic won the mini battle of Sydney with an impressive 3-1 away.  The synthetic surface at Cromer Park gave Manly little advantage as Sydney proved too strong over 90 minutes. It was Manly who struck first with a finish as bright as Chris Payne’s boots.  Despite trailing, it was the Brothers Gaitatzis who scored all 3 second half goals to cap a fine performance. 

South Springvale v South Cardiff

Like all underdog tales, South Springvale overcame adversity (and two tiers of the football structure) to make it through to the next round after a 2-2 extra time draw went to penalties.  South Cardiff’s Lee Ashton made history by becoming the competition’s first goal scorer.  Despite South Springvale getting back on level terms, South Cardiff took the lead just before half time. But South Springvale showed they were like a small child at bedtime - they just wouldn’t lie down. It was left to goalkeeper Rani Dowisha to deliver the coup de grâce by saving South Cardiff’s last penalty to win the game and keep the dream alive.

Check out the gallery of match action from Super Tuesday here.