FFA Cup: First four teams through to quarter-finals

A hat-trick by Besart Berisha helped Melbourne Victory steamroller fans-favourite Tuggeranong United 6-0 on Tuesday night in the biggest win of the FFA Cup's short history.

Victory, Central Coast Mariners, Adelaide City and Bentleigh Greens all booked themselves a berth in the quarter-finals on day one of Round of 16 action.

In what turned out to be a big occasion for the away teams, only Adelaide City held their ground to progress to the next round.

It was a dominant display by Victory at Vikings Park in the ACT and a fruitful return for hometown boy and Socceroo Carl Valeri.

In a good omen for Victory's upcoming A-League campaign, ex-Roar star Besart Berisha chalked up his first hat-trick in Navy (11', 21', 86').

Matthieu Delpierre also got on the scoresheet (14') as well as Gui Finkler (52'). Connor Pain tapped home on 57 minutes for a well-earned goal after his lightning raids down the left caused havoc for the green and white defence.

In other results, giant-killers Adelaide City - who bundled Western Sydney Wanderers out of the Cup - continued their good run defeating Brisbane strikers 1-0 at Marden Sports Complex, South Australia. Any thoughts of a late fightback by the Strikers were dashed when a second yellow saw David Salin given his marching orders on 83 minutes as the visitors finished with 10 men.

Central Coast Mariners downed Olympic FC 3-1 at the Queensland Sports and Athletic Centre (QSAC) in Nathan Queensland. A goal to Nick Fitgerald on 90 seconds gave the A-League outfit the dream start before Matt Sim added a second on 38 minutes. Jacob McLean clawed one back for the Queenslanders on 57 minutes before Glen Trifiro sealed the result for the Mariners with their third in the 87th minute.

Meanwhile the heartbreak continued for Sydney Olympic who lost the NSW NPL Grand Final on the weekend only to fall 2-1 to Bentleigh Greens at Lambert Park, Leichhardt, NSW. Liam McCormick put away a penalty for the visitors on 8 minutes in the worst possible start for Olympic, and they were two down four minutes later when Ryan Devries struck. A goal to Taiga Soeda deep into injury time was of little consolation to the home side.

Full report to follow...

1 comment


The match in Canberra drew an impressive crowd too which this article misses. Over 5,100 people turned out last night down in Tuggeranong to hopefully watch a performance akin to MK Dons when they beat Man Utd in the League Cup a few weeks ago. Alas it was not the result wanted for the Canberra fans but it was a good night of football with a buzzing stadium. Too bad some of the travelling MV fans caused issues late on in the second half. Apart from that the early friendly banter between the greater contingent of MV fans and the Tuggies active group was good to see.