FFA Cup: Two-minute wrap

It may have been short on upsets but the first four games of the FFA Cup Round of 16 were not short of action.

It was a bad night for Queensland as both of their teams in action failed to progress. Also, ACT lost their sole representative to a clinical display. Fourteen goals, one hat-trick and one sending off were the big statistics of the night. 

Tuggeranong United 0
Melbourne Victory 6 (Berisha 11’, 21’, 85’, Del Pierre 14’, Finkler 52’, Pain 57’)

The biggest winners from the tie were Capital Football. Building a strong case for an A-League team in Canberra more than 5000 people turned out for the game.  Melbourne Victory was a close second in the winners’ stakes as they thoroughly outclassed ‘The Tuggies’ in a 6-0 romp. Always going to be a mission improbable for the home side, the unbeaten Victory scored early and never looked back.  Besart Berisha proved yet again that he is a goal machine by scoring a fine hat-trick.

Adelaide City 1 (Costa 43’)
Brisbane Strikers 0

The conquerors of Western Sydney Wanderers in the last round were in no mood to be denied as Adelaide City reached the last eight with a 1-0 victory.  Anthony Costa scored the only goal of the game just before half time. As much as Brisbane Strikers pushed to get an equaliser, David Salin’s sending off (for two bookable offences) with seven minutes to go ended any realistic chances of taking the game to extra time.

Sydney Olympic 1 (Soeda 94’)
Bentleigh Greens 2 (De Vries 7’, McCormick 11’)

Perhaps weary from the weekend, Sydney Olympic conceded twice early in the game and Bentleigh Greens quietly moved through to the next round. A last-minute goal for Sydney was not enough. It was a dream start for Bentleigh when a seventh minute penalty, conceded by captain Peter Markovic, put the home team on the back foot.  Ryan De Vries’ individual goal five minutes later proved decisive.

Olympic FC 1 (McLean 57)
Central Coast Mariners 3 (Fitzgerald 2’, Sim 38’, Trifiro 86’)

A second minute goal for the Mariners snatched momentum before Olympic FC could find any rhythm. A clinical strike from Matt Sim, to follow up on his assist with the first goal, meant that the A-League side would go into the break with a comfortable 2-0 lead. Jake McLean’s well taken goal in the second half gave hope to the Queenslanders but the Mariners took advantage of a slip and put the tie beyond Olympic with four minutes left in the game.

1 comment


The crowd at Vikings Park in Tuggeranong was fantastic, pity about a few bad eggs from the MV traveling support, but over 5,100 fans turning up on what turned out to be a cold spring night in the Capital was fantastic. The result was to be excpected. I had hoped for a display akin to MK Dons vs Manchester United but alas it was not to be. It was good to see the Tuggers boys form an active support group for the game and they really brought the friendly banter to the match with the MV fans. Too bad they did not use the chant me and my mates came up with

"You're just the poor Melbourne City. You're just the poor Melbourne City."