Newcastle Jets stalwart Taylor Regan has been shown the door as the massive clear out continues at the embattled A-League outfit.
Regan is the latest to be turfed following on from the cull of senior players earlier in the year.
The 26-year-old centre back, who was part of the leadership group and occasional captain during a difficult season, was told on Tuesday he had no future at the club
This year’s wooden spooners listed off 10 players who are going, likely to go or still under consideration for 2015/16.
Among those also headed for the exit are Sam Gallagher, John Solari, Allan Welsh and Travis Cooper.
Discussions are ongoing with utility Nick Cowburn, who is being offered a youth contract, Max Burgess, Enver Alivodic and Ecuadorian attacker Edson Montano.
Regan, who played his entire professional career with the Jets and skippered the youth side, made a total of 68 A-League appearances.
Coach Phil Stubbins made no specific comment on the defender's contribution to the club but did refer to other players.
Stubbins said the club was committed to retaining Toronto junior Cowburn, who made 10 apperances this season, but could only be offered a youth deal.
“We’d love Nick Cowburn to stay at the club however with Scott Neville and Jacob Pepper contracted and able to fulfil the right back role, at this point we need to work within our salary cap and squad size parameters,” Stubbins said.
“We will remain in open dialogue with Nick.”
Gallagher, 23, joined the Jets ahead of the 2014/15 campaign from Vietnamese side Hanoi T&T and made a total of 19 appearances for the club during season 10.
Goalkeeper Solari, 21, linked with the Jets in 2013 from South Australian Premier League outfit White City but never made an A-League appearance.
Welsh made 16 appearances this season while Cooper was given little opportunity to shine with just two appearances for the Jets. At this point they have been told they will not be re-signed although that situation may change “depending on various factors”.
Burgess remains in discussions with the club, while Montano – on loan to the Jets from SC Barcelona in his homeland – will be the subject of future negotiations.
Stubbins, who escaped the bloodbath after a shambolic season which saw the side pick up just 3 wins, has vowed to rebuild the team who showed signs of life towards the back end of the season.
“Today the coaching staff had to deliver some tough decisions to some great people,” he said.
“We certainly wish each of the guys that are leaving the club the very best in their respective futures.
“We are well advanced with our plans to recruit some top quality players to join home grown products Ben Kennedy, Ben Kantarovski, Jacob Pepper, and the returning Nigel Boogaard in our pursuit to bring success to the Newcastle Jets.”comments