Matildas edged out by Japan

Australia suffered a 1-0 loss to Japan as their Women's World Cup run came to an end at the quarter-final stage on Sunday morning (AEST).

An 87th-minute goal from Mana Iwabuchi was decisive at the Commonwealth Stadium as Japan kept their title defence alive.

The Matildas were second best for the most part in hot conditions, although they did hold strong defensively.

But a goal for Japan always looked to be coming and it arrived in the dying stages after Australia failed to clear a corner.

It ended a dream run for the Matildas in Canada, where they became the first Australian team – male or female – to win a game in the knockout stages of a World Cup.

Both the hot conditions and their tough run, which included getting through the group of death and past Brazil, appeared to eventually take their toll.

Japan settled the quicker of the two teams in Edmonton.

The reward came with a good chance for Shinobu Ohno, but her attempted lob over Lydia Williams flew well over the bar in the eighth minute.

The Matildas struggled to string passes together, left chasing Japan in the opening stages.

The reigning world champions went close again in the 22nd minute as Ohno shot wide at the near post after a pass from Nahomi Kawasumi.

Australia's best first-half chance was a free-kick just prior to the half-hour mark, when Alanna Kennedy fired wide from 25 yards.

Aya Miyama forced Williams to tip over an effort soon after as Japan continued to threaten.

Kyah Simon fired a hopeful shot on goal a minute before the break, but her 40-yard effort was straight at goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori.

Half-time came at a good time for the Matildas, who were outplayed in the first half.

And they were able to create a decent opportunity in the 54th minute as Sam Kerr tried a placed effort from 20 yards, but it lacked the power and direction to trouble Kaihori.

Japan continued to look the more likely of the two teams to score in the hot conditions.

The Matildas did improve as the game went on and opened up.

But it was Japan who threatened to win it in regulation time, and they did just that in the 87th minute.

Australia failed to clear a corner and were punished, with Iwabuchi scrambling in from close range despite there being a hint of offside.