Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed the Matildas USA tour will be scrapped following a decision by the bulk of the squad to boycott matches as part of an ongoing pay dispute.
The games against the newly-crowned World Champions were scheduled for September 17 and 20.
The FFA made the announcement on Thursday following discussions with the United States Soccer Federation (USSF).
It is understood six players wanted to go ahead with the tour, including World Cup co-captain Lisa De Vanna.
The Matildas have received widespread support for their stance as the pay dispute threatens to engulf the Socceroos' World Cup qualifiers and the A-League.
Well done to the Matildas for standing firm against FFA in the pay dispute. #solidarity
— Ben Cubby (@bencubby) September 10, 2015
— Richard Garcia (@RichGarcia19) September 10, 2015
In a statement the FFA said the players’ union rejected an offer that would have seen the Matildas on tour with an immediate payment under an interim agreement that included increased pay rates.
According to the statement Professional Footballers Australia said the Matildas would not go to the USA unless a $30 million four-year CBA covering the Socceroos and A-League was also agreed.
FFA CEO David Gallop said that the Matildas interests have been taken hostage by the PFA.
The Matildas have not been paid for two months since the end of their collective bargaining agreement.
“Sadly, the Matildas will not be playing the USA because FFA and the A-League clubs can’t meet the PFA’s unaffordable demands in relation to the level of the salary cap for A-League players,” Gallop said.
“This is a competition in which the clubs lost a collective $17 million last season.
“What we have today is an extraordinary situation in which the two male playing groups in the Socceroos and A-League continue to be paid by FFA and A-League clubs, but the female players aren't being paid.
"This could have been fixed today if the PFA had accepted the interim deal.
“The Matildas alone are the ones being directly affected as a result of the whole of game CBA talks not being resolved.”
Interesting tactic by PFA bundling Matildas with less sympathetic Socceroo/A-League demands. Makes FFA look hard-hearted - unfairly.
— Richard Hinds (@rdhinds) September 10, 2015
Socceroos declined corporate engagements, Matildas will miss matches and pay. Will ALeague pick up the baton if it gets to be their turn?
— Ann Odong (@AnnOdong) September 10, 2015
Earlier in the day Canberra United’s Ashleigh Sykes told tthe ABC that players were being forced to choose between their international career and getting a job.
“It gets pretty tight, in my position at the moment it's been hard to get a job, but for me it's coming down to almost a choice now - do I make myself available for Matildas duties, or do I work?,” Sykes told the ABC.comments