McDonald had offers but UK factor key to re-signing

Former Socceroos striker Scott McDonald says remaining in the UK was a key factor in his decision to re-sign with Scottish club Motherwell this week.

McDonald told FourFourTwo in April he’d be open to an A-League deal with his short-term contract at Motherwell expiring in June.

There had been plenty of speculation about McDonald, who still owns the house he lived in during his previous time in Scotland with Celtic and Motherwell.

The 31-year-old Australian revealed he had other offers, but opted to stick with the SPL club.

“It’s been a long process. It’s been a long six weeks,” McDonald told a press conference late this week.

“I had a couple (of offers) throughout the off-season that I was looking at, but it came down to what was going to be best for me and my family and where we’d be happy as a whole. We wanted to stay together this year.

“I also enjoyed the back-end of last season and that was a massive factor. The manager spoke to me regularly throughout the off-season and to know how much the club wanted me back was key.”

Motherwell boss Ian Baraclough was delighted to re-sign the former Celtic man.

Upon his re-signing, Baraclough said: “We’ve been talking to Scott for most of the summer and we’re obviously delighted he’ll form part of our squad for at least one more year.”

The SPL season gets underway in the first weekend of August, with Motherwell due to face Inverness Caledonian Thistle away on Saturday August 1.