Melbourne City Brown blow

Melbourne City attacking midfielder James Brown has been ruled out for the remainder of the A-League season after undergoing foot surgery on Wednesday.

City coach John van ’t Schip confirmed the news on Thursday morning, with the 25-year-old suffering a fracture of his second tarsometatarsal.

Brown sustained the injury in the first half of last week’s 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar where he was replaced on the half-hour mark.

“James is going to be out for a longer period,” van ‘t Schip revealed.

“He got operated on yesterday morning. We don’t know exactly (how long he’ll be out), but for this year (season) he’s not going to be back.”

The news is a major blow for Brown who returned after two months out with the winner, and his first City goal, in the 1-0 triumph over Sydney FC a fortnight ago.

There was positive injury news for striker Josh Kennedy, who looked ginger when replaced on 56 minutes in the same match.

“Josh trained with us the whole week, so he’s okay,” the Dutchman said.

“He continued this week with his schedule and training sessions. He looks ready to play and start, so that’s a good sign.”

City journeys to face Western Sydney Wanderers on Friday night, in a game where victory will practically seal their finals spot.

The Melbourne club will meet up with key midfielder Aaron Mooy in Sydney after Socceroos duty in Germany and FYR Macedonia.

“He just came back now, so we’ll see him today when we arrive at the hotel,” van ‘t Schip said.

“If Aaron feels okay, he’ll certainly have a part to play.”

Connor Chapman still has one game left in his suspension, while Jacob Melling (knee) and Robbie Wielaert (ankle) are one and two weeks away from returning respectively.