Oar ponders Utrecht extension

Socceroo Tommy Oar has revealed he has no reason to leave FC Utrecht and may opt to extend his current contract which expires in June 2015.

The 22-year-old has made progress in his career during four years at Utrecht after moving to the Dutch topflight from Brisbane Roar alongside Adam Sarota and Michael Zullo.

Oar, who started in all three of Australia’s matches at the World Cup, said he wasn’t considering a move away from Utrecht.

“I have had an excellent time here," Oar told Algemeen Dagblad. "I have to be honest, not a second thought."

Oar has previously been linked with Benfica, PSV Eindhoven, Sunderland and Celtic although nothing ever materialised from the rumours.

After settling in at Utrecht in his first two years in the Netherlands, Oar has become a regular in midfield and attack over the past two seasons.

Oar cited the fact he was playing regularly in one of Europe’s stronger leagues as reason enough to stay.

"It’s not always in your hands, but only when it’s certain I’d be playing, would I move. This is not the case,” Oar said.

“I can’t rule out extending my contract at Utrecht. It would certainly be no punishment.”

It is understood, Utrecht are yet to table a new contract offer to Oar, although there is plenty of time for a deal to be agreed.

Oar’s Utrecht open the Eredivisie season next Friday against Trent Sainsbury’s PEC Zwolle.