PEC Zwolle chase compensation for Sainsbury injury

Socceroos hopeful Trent Sainsbury says playing football remains his sole focus despite his club PEC Zwolle chasing compensation from Utrecht following an injury to the Australian.

Sainsbury missed six months of action after sustaining a serious knee injury when he landed on the spray nozzle of a sprinkler at Utrecht’s Stadion Galgenwaard on his debut in February.

Zwolle have filed a damages claim but Utrecht claim they are not responsible, pointing the finger of blame at the venue’s owners.

Sainsbury, 22, distanced himself from the situation preferring to concentrate on his recovery from a fractured patella, which was initially expected to sideline him for only a month.

The central defender made his competitive return to action last weekend in the shock 1-0 Johan Cruyff Shield win over Ajax, ahead of the opening weekend of the Eredivisie season which he said was his sole focus.

“I’m focused on trying to play football at the moment and whatever comes from that comes from that,” Sainsbury told FourFourTwo.

“I’ve not got too much information on it. It’s still in the early stages and they are still trying to work out who’s at fault.

“At the moment people are pointing fingers and saying it wasn’t us. I’ll just focus on what I do best and let the lawyers and club handle it.”

The injury forced Sainsbury to miss the remainder of the Eredivisie season and the 2014 World Cup, although he returned to action in pre-season before his competitive comeback last Sunday against Ajax.

Zwolle technical director Gerard Nijkamp confirmed to Voetbal International earlier this week that the club had begun the process with Utrecht, for the six months missed and any possible revenue from an off-season transfer.

"We paid to get Trent here in the winter and have paid him six months' salary," Nijkamp said.

“He has missed half a year and this summer might have made a transfer.”

Ironically, Zwolle open the Eredivisie at home to Utrecht on Friday night.

1 comment