Reds triumph in epic A-League Grand Final

In their third decider, Adelaide United have finally won the Hyundai A-League Grand Final defeating Western Sydney Wanderers 3-1 at Adelaide Oval on Sunday in front of 50,119 fans.  

Roared on by a boisterous home crowd, the biggest for a domestic match in South Australia, the Reds crowned an extraordinary season by winning the Championship just weeks after lifting the Premiership.

After a predictably tense and physical start the game exploded into life with two goals to the home side midway through the half, handing the Reds a clear advantage going into the break.

The visitors had looked flat but found a spark inside the first 15 minutes of the second half with Scott Neville’s superb strike to make it 2-1.

Wanderers had the momentum and pressed furiously for an equaliser.

The Reds had a goal ruled offside shortly after which might’ve killed off the game.

But in the end, Sanchez did kill off the Wanderers with a clincial finish as the United chant reverberated around Adelaide Oval. 

It wasn’t to be for the Wanderers.


21’ 1-0 Kamau: Adelaide United

Carrusca was the architect. His trickery on the ball near the left touchline saw the Argentine feed Goodwin, who found Mauk, who set the Argentine free to burst into the box. His controlled low cross was guided home by Kamau who attacked ball in the six-yard box brushing aside Jamieson’s attentions.

32’ 2-0 Isaias Adelaide United.

World class. A set-piece worthy of a grand final. After Topor-Stanley conceded the foul on the lively Kamau on the edge of the box, the Spaniard curled it over the wall and into the top right side of Redmayne’s net with the keeper helpless to stop the Reds taking a 2-0 lead.

58’ 2-1 Neville Western Sydney Wanderers

On the right side of the Reds box, Castelen’s ball in was laid off cleverly by Santalab to Scott Neville who curled a superb shot past Galekovic. Game on!

89 3-1 Sanchez Adelaide United

Wanderers failed to clear the ball in the box and the Spanish super-sub pounced to smash a low shot past Redmayne. 


Isaias’ set-piece strike. It was a moment of magic that allowed the Reds to take a stranglehold on the game.


Michaela Marrone hobbled off after looking to have jarred his ankle midway through the second half.


Adelaide United have completed one of the most extraordinary stories in Hyundai A-League – and Australian sporting – history.

Winless and bottom of the league in Round 8, the Reds under first year senior coach Gui Amor galvanised their spirit, tightened up their defence and went on an unforgettable run.

This run reaped the Premiership in a thrilling final round of the A-League a few weeks ago.

And on Sunday United completed put the capstone on a remarkable resurgence by seeing off the Wanderers in front of a packed Adelaide Oval crowd.

Just hours before Leicester City aim to complete their own EPL fairytale, the Reds have signed off on their unforgettable story of revival. 

South Australia finally has a national champion again with Amor’s team worthy winners of Season 11’s Championship.

What a day to be a Red. What a story.

For Wanderers, this was a crushing blow in their third decider. The wait in western Sydney goes on.


Adelaide United:  Galekovic, Marrone (Elrich 70’), La Rocca, McGowan, Mauk, Cirio, Carrusca (Sanchez 85’), Djite, Goodwin, Kamau (Mells 90')

Subs: Sanchez, Mells, Hall, Elrich, Elsey

Western Sydney Wanderers:  Redmayne, Jamieson (Cole 85’), Topor-Stanley, Nichols (Vidosic 55’) Castelen, Delgado, Santalab, Neville, Aguilar, Andreu (Bacchus 77’), Bridge.

Subs: Cole, Hamill, Vidosic, Baccus, Reddy

Red Cards:  Nil

Yellow Cards:  Topor-Stanley, Andreu, Jamieson, Dimas

Attendance:  50,119

Venue:  Adelaide Oval

Conditions:  Clear, breezy, 17 degrees.