UAE-bound Milligan hopeful over Socceroos spot

Australia midfielder Mark Milligan hopes he will be a part of the Socceroos' future despite his move to the Middle East.

The 29-year-old has signed with UAE Pro-League club Bani Yas, who reportedly paid $1million to secure him from Melbourne Victory.

The slower tempo in the Middle East is a contrast to the fast-paced style Ange Postecoglou wants his Socceroos to play.

But 39-time international Milligan is hopeful he can remain a key part of the Socceroos midfield. 

"Hopefully, of course," he told Fox Sports News on Sunday.

"Being a part of the Socceroos for the next few years is a big goal of mine and I know that I'm going to have to work extra hard to make sure I keep my spot in the squad.

"I really am focused on trying to do that and that's up to me now to make sure I keep my standards up to keep myself in that team."

Milligan felt it was the right time to make the move from the A-League, and said the financial benefits from moving to Bani Yas played a part.

"That definitely contributes. I don't they're as, I guess, reckless with their money as they were," he said.

"This team in particular has been after me for quite a long time and this is the third time that they've attempted to get me across and it's been a very successful 12 months for myself.

"And winning the championship and premiership it just sort of felt right to leave on that note."

Milligan added it had been "a little bit tough" to miss out on a move to Crystal Palace after the Premier League club tried to buy him in 2013.