ANGE Postecoglou has officially been confirmed as the new Socceroos boss after the bitterly unhappy Melbourne Victory board admitted they would not stand in his way...but blasted the FFA's process.
Melbourne Victory Chairman Anthony Di Pietro today confirmed that the Board of Directors will be "...supporting Postecoglou's transition into the Socceroos coaching job."
But he lashed out at the way the club had been railroaded into accepting the FFA"s demands, and a reported paltry compensation deal of just $50,000 compared to the $1 million the club wanted.
"The circumstances that Ange and the club have been confronted with are complex and compelling no matter what perspective you take," said di Pietro.
"That said, we have made it clear to Ange that we will not stand in the way of him accepting the biggest coaching role in this country.
“However, we are disappointed with the process undertaken by the FFA, given the outcomes we tried to secure could never have been achieved within the timeframes offered, which ultimately forced us to accelerate our decision not to stand in Ange’s way."
He added: “Ange Postecoglou has had a profound impact on Melbourne Victory Football Club over the past 18 months and the club is extremely appreciative of everything he has implemented during his tenure.
"Ange’s appointment as Socceroos coach is a fantastic endorsement for our club, its culture and the standards we strive to set. We thank Ange and he will certainly always be part of the Melbourne Victory family.
“This week’s game becomes our focus and we can confirm that Ange will be the Head Coach on Friday, so we’re looking forward to our members and fans coming out in force.”
The club said they will reveal details about Postecoglou's replacement next week but it is believed former skipper and Ange's assistant coach Kevin Muscat is likely to take the reins at least in the short term, but possibly for the rest of the season.
Postecoglou is expected to be unveiled as new Socceroos coach by the FFA later today in Sydney.