Police have charged Western Sydney Wanderers striker Kerem Bulut with intimidation following an incident at a McDonald’s in Sydney’s west on Tuesday night.
It is understood the 23-year-old was with a group that was asked to leave the premises by restaurant staff.
According to reports, the group allegedly told the manager of the store they should take the argument outside.
Bulut presented at Auburn police station at 4pm on Wednesday and was granted conditional bail.
He was later dropped from the Wanderers side that defeated Melbourne City 4-3 at Pirtek Stadium that night.
Wanderers coach Tony Popovic told Fairfax Media he was made aware of the incident on Wednesday afternoon.
"He was stood down from the game due to that incident," Popovic said.
"Now it's with the club and the authorities and it's in their hands.
"That's it. That's all I can tell you at this point."
Fairfax reported a statement from Wanderers confirming the club was "working closely with police, Football Federation Australia and the player's management and can make no further comment at this time".
A prodigious talent and former youth international, Bulut had a brush with the law before but looked to put that behind him during nearly five seasons in Europe.
His signing with Wanderers was seen as a positive step for the struggling Asian Champions, and a new start for the player who said he had a “lot to prove” in Australia.
He kicked off his return in stunning fashion with a brace on debut in last month’s Sydney derby.
Bulut will appear in Burwood Local Court on April 7.comments