Domination, destruction and technology: how Stats Zone saw France 3-0 Honduras
The one-way traffic continued, but by halfway through the first period France had still only got 1 of their 6 shots on target.
France's dominance was most obvious when comparing passes which ended in the attacking third: 35 completed to Honduras's 4.
They got the breakthrough in the 44th minute, with Palacios sent off and Benzema tucking in the spot-kick.
It was only France's second shot on target, but by half-time Honduras were yet to trouble Hugo Lloris.
Two minutes after half-time, the jig was up when goalkeeper Valladares couldn't quite keep his own deflection out.
In the first 20 minutes after half-time, Honduras didn't have a single shot of any kind.
France finished the job with a 72nd-minute goal from the busy Benzema.
The full-time shot count is indicative of France's dominance, but also profligacy: they'll need to sharpen their shooting.
France completed 593 of their 654 passes (91%). Honduras were less successful.
The final-third passes were even more one-sided.
- France have won their first World Cup match since the 2006 semi-final (v Portugal). They had drawn 2 and lost 2 since then.
- Karim Benzema is the first France player to score 2 goals in a single World Cup game since Zinedine Zidane scored a brace in the 1998 final.
- Benzema had 3 more shots (including blocked) in the game (7) than the entire Honduras side (4).
- 3 of France’s last 6 goals in the World Cup have come from the penalty spot.
- Honduras are without a World Cup goal in 479 minutes of action. Their last goal came in 1982 (v Northern Ireland).
- Only Germany and Italy (both 4) have benefited from more own goals in World Cup history than France (3).
- Honduras only conceded 1 more foul in the match than France (14-13).
- Honduras have won 0 of their 7 matches at World Cup finals (D3 L4).
- France finished with more than 70% possession for the first time in a World Cup match since 1966 (71.1%).
- Similarly that was Honduras’ worst return of possession in a single match at World Cup finals (28.9%).