The FourFourTwo Preview: Southampton vs West Ham
- Norwich 1-0 Southampton (Prem)
- Barnsley 1-5 Southampton (LC)
- Southampton 1-1 Sunderland (Prem)
- West Ham 0-1 Stoke (Prem)
- West Ham 2-1 Cheltenham (LC)
- Newcastle 0-0 West Ham (Prem)
West Ham travel without their record signing, as Geordie Andy Carroll has broken down. Again. Anyone who has read Viz will be wondering whether the ponytailed behemoth is actually a Geordie at all. They’re supposed to be nails, right? Seriously though, this is a huge blow to the East Londoners and morale will be knocked by his absence.
Key battle: Southampton vs themselves
The East Londoners’ strength is defence. They'll set up a ring of steel in front of their penalty area (as seen here), so the Saints should focus on moving the ball and trying to force the West Ham back-line out of shape rather than trying to run through the likes of James Collins and Winston Reid.
LAST FIVE MEETINGS
- Southampton 1-1 West Ham (Prem, Apr 13)
- West Ham 4-1 Southampton (Prem, Oct 12)
- West Ham 1-1 Southampton (Championship, Feb 12)
- Southampton 1-0 West Ham (Championship, Oct 11)
- Southampton 1-1 West Ham (Prem, Apr 03)
It's a culture clash on the bench, with Southampton's suave Argentine taking on the Hammers' gruffian from Dudley.
Facts and figures
- Southampton have scored just four goals in their last eight Premier League matches.
- The Hammers have won only one of their last 15 Premier League away games (D4 L10).
- Saints have committed the most fouls in the Premier League so far this season; but only been shown two yellow cards.
- West Ham failed to register a shot on target in their last Premier League match; against Stoke on August 31.
- Sam Allardyce is unbeaten in nine Premier League meetings with Southampton (W3 D6).
- Not since Mauricio Pochettino’s first home game in charge (0-0 v Everton) have Southampton managed a clean sheet at St Mary’s in the Premier League (eight games).
- West Ham have attempted fewer passes (938) than any other side in the Premier League this season and have the worst passing accuracy (72.3%).
- Mark Noble has scored three goals in the last three league meetings between West Ham and Southampton; more than any against other league opposition.
- Southampton are unbeaten in their last four home matches against West Ham (W2 D2).
- No English player has scored more goals in the Premier League since the beginning of last season than Rickie Lambert (16).