RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil striker Adriano missed training with Flamengo on Tuesday, two days after scoring on his debut for the team. The player's agent Gilmar Rinaldo blamed a breakdown in communications and club director Kleber Leite said no action would be taken against the 27-year-old former Inter Milan forward. "I don't understand. Adriano's absence was not planned," coach Cuca told reporters. "We're going to wait for this afternoon's training session to see what happens. He's going to have to have a good excuse." Adriano later turned up for the afternoon practice, had a meeting with directors and trained separately from the rest of the squad. "He had been given permission (to miss training) and I think there was a communication problem," Rinaldi said in an interview on the Sportv cable channel. Leite told reporters: "He's given a plausible justification and everything has been sorted out. This won't happen again. We can't make a storm in a teacup. Adriano has our understanding." The former Inter Milan forward, whose career has been marred by disciplinary problems, scored the second goal in Sunday's 2-1 Brazilian championship win over Atletico Paranaense. Monday was a day off for the players. He joined Flamengo in April shortly after Inter agreed to terminate his contract when he said he was not happy in Italy. Once one of the world's most feared strikers, Adriano has seen his career slide downhill in the last three years amid fitness and alcohol problems. He has played only a handful of matches for Brazil since the 2006 World Cup and was an unused substitute in their last two qualifiers.
2 June 2009
Get FourFourTwo interviews, features and fun in your inbox every week. For free!
Thank you for registering for our Newsletter
We will send regular updates on the ongoing FourFourTwo updates to the email address you have supplied.