African chief seeks Angola security assurances

LUANDA - African football leaders are to meet Angolan government officials on Saturday to seek assurances on the security of players at the African Nations Cup finals after Friday's attack on the Togo team bus.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) had already said the January 10-31 tournament would proceed despite the attack in Cabinda, in which the driver was killed and nine others were injured.

CAF president Issa Hayatou will now meet Angola's prime minister Paulo Kassoma in Luanda on Saturday.

"They will meet to take decisions to guarantee the smooth running of the competition," said a CAF statement released early on Saturday.

Gunmen opened fire as the team were entering Angola from neigbouring Congo and the Togo team have yet to make a decision on whether they would participate in the tournament.

A group of senior African football officials are travelling with an Angolan government delegation to investigate the attack, responsibility for which has been claimed by a separatist movement in the oil-rich enclave.

The CAF condemned the attack on the Togo team.

"The Confederation of African Football is terribly saddened by this event and express its total support as well as sympathy to the entire Togolese delegation," the statement added.

NEWS: Cabinda to still host Nations Cup matches NEWS: Togo goalkeeper serious but stable NEWS: Minister - Togo pull out of Nations Cup NEWS: Manchester City - Adebayor coming home NEWS: Adebayor - Togo may quit Nations Cup NEWS: Togo to consult players over pullout NEWS: Ivory Coast - No plans to quit tournament NEWS: Organiser - Teams told not to travel by road NEWS: Blatter - FIFA has confidence in Africa NEWS: Jordaan - Gun attack will not affect World Cup NEWS: Two of Togo delegation die after ambush NEWS: Wenger - Nations Cup should continue NEWS: Nations Cup to continue despite Togo bus attack NEWS: Togo team bus machine-gunned by rebel soldiers NEWS: One killed, nine wounded in Togo bus attack NEWS: FIFA expresses sympathy for Togo team NEWS: Clubs seek assurances over players in Angola NEWS: Angola condemns Togo team attack

Follow the story as it develops on FFT's Twitter feed FFT's Africa Cup of Nations news section