LONDON - Arsenal are to appeal against the two-match ban imposed by UEFA on striker Eduardo da Silva for diving in a Champions League match last week. "We strongly believe that the decision taken is deeply flawed and not based on any forensic view of the video evidence available," the Premier League club said in a statement on Thursday.
"There are obvious errors and inconsistencies in UEFA's judgement and we intend to appeal."
The Brazilian-born Croatia international was given the ban after UEFA's disciplinary and control panel ruled he had tried to deceive the referee to win a penalty in the second leg of Arsenal's Champions League play-off tie against Celtic.
Eduardo converted the penalty awarded by referee Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez after he tumbled to the ground despite there appearing to be no contact with Celtic keeper Artur Boruc.
His successful spot kick gave Arsenal a 1-0 lead on the night, effectively sealing the tie after Arsenal had carried forward a 2-0 advantage from the first leg at Celtic. Arsenal went on to win 5-1 on aggregate.
The UEFA ban means Eduardo will miss Arsenal's opening Group H matches against Standard Liege and Olympiakos in September.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger accused European football's governing body of a witch hunt.
"I find it a complete disgrace and unacceptable," Wenger said after Eduardo was charged on Tuesday.comments