Boluda: Real not planning more signings

Topics

MADRID - Real Madrid are unlikely to buy any more players in the January transfer period, new club president Vicente Boluda was quoted as saying on Sunday.

Boluda took charge of the Primera Liga champions on Friday when Ramon Calderon was forced to resign after the Marca newspaper published allegations of irregularities at the club's general assembly last month.

In his first interview as president, Boluda told Marca that Real would probably not buy further players this month following the signings of Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Lassana Diarra.

"In this world, you can never rule it out completely but the squad is complete and I don't think so," the 53-year-old businessman said. "We have a fairly complete and balanced side and we are going to remain like this until the end."

Boluda also told Marca he was unaware of any deal to bring Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo to the Bernabeu.

Real have been pursuing the FIFA World Player of the Year for some time and one recent report said a secret accord was in place to sign him at the end of this season. Ronaldo has denied the existence of any deal.

"I don't know," Boluda said when asked about the alleged agreement. "I have not seen anything. Neither contracts or anything else."

Boluda said Real coach Juande Ramos, who was hired last month on a six-month contract to replace Bernd Schuster, would probably extend his term with the club if he won a title.

Asked about his own future, Boluda said he planned to remain in his new post until around mid-June when new presidential elections would probably be called.

"I am taking charge of a sunken ship and I will salvage it," he said. "Like yoghurts, I have a sell-by date. What I want to do is sort things out and then go."

Real have been attempting to register Huntelaar and Diarra for next month's Champions League knockout phase but have fallen foul of UEFA rules that dictate only one of the pair can play.

Sporting Director Predrag Mijatovic, who was recruited by Calderon, has been blamed for the situation and Spanish media have speculated he could also be forced out.

Boluda said it appeared a mistake had been made over the registration of the two players which would have resulted in the dismissal of the person responsible if it had happened at his own company.

But asked whether he planned to "dispense with" Mijatovic, Boluda replied: "As things stand, I am not going to dispense with anyone until I have analysed what is best for the club on a case-by-case basis."