Bosnia accepts Blazevic resignation

SARAJEVO - Bosnia's football federation (NFSBiH) has accepted the resignation of national team coach Ciro Blazevic and two other top officials, it said on Saturday.

"The NFSBiH executive board has appointed a commission that will propose new candidates for the position of national coach by the end of next week," the federation said in a statement.

Blazevic had been considering his position after Bosnia lost to Portugal in their World Cup play-off last month, missing out on a place at the 2010 finals in South Africa.

Bosnian media reported that he has been offered a lucrative contract by Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.

The NFSBiH also said secretary general Munib Usanovic and finance and marketing secretary Miodrag Kures had resigned for moral reasons after the state court found them guilty of fraud and abuse of office and sentenced them to five years in jail.

Neither Blazevic, who steered Croatia to the 1998 World Cup semi-finals, nor NFSBiH officials were immediately available to comment.

The public image of the NFSBiH had been hurt by allegations of involvement in illegal activities and corruption.

Until last year several foreign-based players boycotted Bosnia's matches and called for the resignation of the leaders of the NFSBiH, who they said were elected or appointed because of ethnic affiliation rather than professional qualifications.