Djokovic critical of Ronaldo mega deal

Huge transfer bids such as Real Madrid's world record £80 million offer for Cristiano Ronaldo should be kept secret to avoid adverse public reaction, leading tennis player Novak Djokovic said on Friday. Real Madrid's world record offer for Ronaldo, which has been accepted by his English club Manchester United, was described by UEFA president Michel Platini as "excessive" and "puzzling" given the current economic climate. "You can look at it from an athlete's perspective or someone who earns €2,000 a month," the 22-year-old Djokovic said during the Halle tournament in Germany. "In this crisis this is not the best way to show off how much money (the club) is willing to offer. It reflects on social life very quickly, psychologically. These are incredible amounts." "There is another way of doing this," the Serbian added. "I am not saying he does or does not deserve it but the amount should not reach the media." Djokovic, the world number four, has so far earned more than $12 million in prize money alone since turning pro in 2003, including $2,000,000 for winning the 2008 Australian Open.