Duo banned amid blasphemy crackdown

ROME - Chievo Verona coach Domenico Di Carlo and Parma forward Davide Lanzafame have become the first professionals to be suspended as a result of Italian football's blasphemy crackdown.

Di Carlo was banned from the dugout for Sunday's match at Bari after the Italian Football League said in a statement on Tuesday that he uttered a "blasphemous expression" during the 2-1 home win over Cagliari last weekend.

Lanzafame was also banned for Sunday's trip to Siena after committing the same offence in Parma's 1-0 win over Sampdoria.

Italian referees were told last week to give red cards to players they hear blaspheming.