Ecuador job to stay vacant until June

QUITO - Ecuador will not appoint a new coach until the middle of next year after opting not to retain Sixto Vizuete following their World Cup elimination, Ecuadorean Football Federation (FEF) president Luis Chiriboga said.

Chiriboga told reporters after a FEF meeting that Vizuete had been offered the job of taking charge of the country's junior teams and would act as caretaker for the seniors if they had a friendly.

"We'll take our time to choose the new senior national team coach and this will probably be in June of next year," Chiriboga was quoted as saying in local media on Thursday.

A favourite for the senior job is Argentine Edgardo Bauza, who steered LDU Quito to the South American Libertadores Cup title and the final of the Club World Cup against Manchester United last year.

Ecuador missed out on a third consecutive World Cup when they lost their final qualifier 1-0 away to Chile two weeks ago.