Ferguson refutes Nani exit reports
The Portuguese playmaker has found his first-team opportunities limited this season and has publically admitted that the long-standing Scot had ‘shattered his confidence’ after being omitted for the Reds’ bigger games.
Nani’s frustration has led to speculation linking him with a move during the January transfer window, but his manager insists the 23-year-old isn’t going anywhere.
“Some big clubs have been mentioned for Nani, like Milan and Benfica, but there has been no contact made with us, and we wouldn’t entertain selling him anyway,” he told the Sunday Mirror.
“He is only 23. If someone came in for Nani in January we would tell him that he is going absolutely nowhere.”
Nani was unhappy after being left out against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur earlier in the season.
Ferguson has revealed, though, that he intends to hand Nani a rare starting role in midweek during their League Cup quarter-final clash with Spurs and has urged the former Sporting Lisbon winger to make the most of his opportunity.
“He’s a young boy and he wants to play, and he might get a chance against Spurs in the Carling Cup this week," he said.
“He has suffered because [Antonio] Valencia’s form has been excellent and because [Gabriel] Obertan has emerged as an interesting player.
“It is no criticism of Nani, but the way things have developed in the last few weeks have gone against him.
“I have spoken to him and told him that he must hake his chance when it comes along.”