FIFA reject Egypt Confed Cup complaint

BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa - FIFA rejected a complaint by Egypt over Brazil's winning penalty in their Confederations Cup match, saying it was awarded legitimately and not by the illegal use of video replays. Egypt alleged after Monday's 4-3 defeat by Brazil that English referee Howard Webb had awarded the penalty only after being told by the fourth official that Ahmed Al Muhamadi had stopped a shot on his goal line with his arm. This was based on watching a video replay, assistant coach Gharib Chawki told reporters. FIFA said in a statement on Tuesday that after receiving an Egyptian complaint it had thoroughly analysed all the evidence, including a statement and match report from Webb, and excluded the use of video evidence, which it strictly forbids in refereeing decisions. "The decision in question was achieved through teamwork between the match referee and his Assistant Referee Number 1, Mike Mullarkey, who confirmed the offence to the referee from his clear viewing angle," world football's governing body said. Chawki said on Monday that Egypt were not contesting the penalty but only the way in which it was awarded. Webb sent off Al Muhamadi, who had only come in after 75 minutes, for collapsing on the ground as if he had been struck in the face by the ball, before Kaka converted the penalty that won the match for Brazil.


SHARES
comments