French FA rules out Domenech debate

PARIS - France coach Raymond Domenech will definitely stay in charge for next year's World Cup in South Africa, French Football Federation (FFF) president Jean-Pierre Escalettes said on Friday.

Escalettes spoke after the FFF council met in Paris to discuss a request by one of its members, Guy Chambily, to replace Domenech.

There was little chance for the request being accepted after the FFF council twice ruled last year that Domenech should stay on.

"It would not have been very professional to put somebody else in charge of the France team," Escalettes told a news conference.

"It would have been difficult for the players to accept that. They would have felt betrayed."

Domenech, who was appointed in 2004, was left in charge by the FFF after his team's early exit from Euro 2008.

The uncompromising 57-year-old has been under renewed pressure because of France's poor performances during their World Cup qualifying campaign.

France only secured their place by beating Ireland in a playoff thanks to a goal set up by Thierry Henry's controversial handball.