BERLIN - Germany coach Joachim Low has denied that there was ever a verbal agreement to extend his contract beyond the 2010 World Cup finals.
The German FA (DFB), who in December said a verbal agreement had been reached for an extension, said on Thursday negotiations were now on ice until after the World Cup starting in June.
"There was never any handshake agreement," Low told Kicker's website on Friday.
"We (Low and team manager Oliver Bierhoff) have deliberately avoided saying anything concrete about the contract situation in the last few weeks.
"We are surprised about the way in which the alleged contract details have suddenly come out into the open. A lot of untruthfulness has come into circulation."
Low said he and Bierhoff were focused on the World Cup in South Africa.
"Our entire concentration has been on the success of the national team and with it the development and reputation of German football," said the coach.
On Thursday, DFB president Theo Zwanziger said: "In principle both sides are interested in continuing the good cooperation but could not agree on important aspects.
"That's why we came to the common conclusion to abandon the negotiations and to concentrate solely on preparations for the World Cup."comments