Milan's Ancelotti rules out new signings

MILAN, Dec 2 (Reuters) - AC Milan will stay out of the transfer market in January despite recent poor results, coach Carlo Ancelotti said on Tuesday.

Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham, who will join the Rossoneri on loan for two months from January, looks poised to be the only arrival or departure.

"The transfer market? I exclude any participation 100 percent," Ancelotti told a news conference ahead of Wednesday's Italian Cup last 16 game at home to Lazio (1945 GMT).

Milan were humbled 3-1 at Palermo in Serie A on Sunday to lie six points behind leaders Inter Milan. They also needed an injury-time equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Portsmouth last week to reach the UEFA Cup knockout phase.

"It is good to have this game immediately so we can forget Palermo quickly. Lazio have quality, they have not won for a bit and have lost a bit of confidence but tomorrow evening they will put up a fight," Ancelotti added.

The coach said reserve goalkeeper Dida and Andriy Shevchenko, used sparingly since his return from Chelsea, would play in the Lazio game, which is the only Italian Cup match this week with the last 16 round spread over two months.

Ancelotti also praised Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo, who lifted the Champions League in May with Manchester United just like 2007 victor Kaka did with Milan last year.

"The Ballon d'Or depends on trophies won, the Champions League being key. In any case Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best and most spectacular players in the world," he said.

"Kaka has already won it and (Inter striker Zlatan) Ibrahimovic is destined to win it in the future. Italian soccer gives more importance to collective play than individuality."

(Reporting by Mark Meadows, editing by )


SHARES
comments