Mourinho cleared over assault claim

Topics

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho will not face charges over an alleged assault following a Champions League match in England last month, Manchester police said on Thursday.

Police had been investigating allegations that Mourinho had punched a fan in the face outside Old Trafford after his team lost 2-0 to Manchester United and were knocked out of the competition at the last 16 stage.

"Greater Manchester Police is aware of the Crown Prosecution Service's decision not to bring charges after an allegation of assault was made following the Manchester United-Inter game in March," police said in a statement.

"A full investigation was carried out after this allegation and the victim has been kept apprised of all developments and is supportive of this decision," it added.

Mourinho had always refuted any wrongdoing, claiming: “It was a very calm post game experience,” in March. There were no visible injuries to the complainant and he did not require any medical aid.

The 46-year-old is on the verge of winning the Italian league title in his first season at Inter. He took over as coach at the club last June having been sacked by Chelsea in September 2007. Mourinho won two Premier League titles with the Blues in 2005 and 2006.