RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian striker Ronaldo denied on Thursday that he was using his new club Corinthians as a springboard for a return to Europe. Ronaldo, who has recovered from a serious knee injury he sustained in February at AC Milan, has agreed terms with Brazil's second most popular club in a move he hopes will revive his career. "I have lived in Europe for the last 15 years," he told Globo television. "I'm not even thinking about returning to Europe. "I'm not thinking about using Corinthians as a trampoline. My mind is set on staying in Brazil." Ronaldo, 32, ruptured a tendon in his left knee, the third such injury of his career, in a Serie A game for AC Milan against Livorno in February and later left the Italian club. Even before the injury, Ronaldo had been struggling for fitness and form and had not played for Brazil since his much criticised performance at the 2006 World Cup. He has scored a record 15 goals in three World Cups. Ronaldo said he was not immediately thinking of a Brazil recall. "That's a long way ahead," he said. "First, I have to do well for Corinthians and earn my place." "If I play well and deserve a chance to return, I'm sure there won't be any type of problem to stop me. "The basic thing is for me to be on the pitch scoring goals, to regain my credibility and sell my image. My challenge now is to do the best for Corinthians." Ronaldo said he did not fear another injury. "I have the backing of some of the world's best doctors," he said. "They have analysed all my exams and MRIs. It's now a question of getting into shape."
11 December 2008
Get FourFourTwo interviews, features and fun in your inbox every week. For free!
Thank you for registering for our Newsletter
We will send regular updates on the ongoing FourFourTwo updates to the email address you have supplied.