BPLFYI: The Opening Round
1) Manchester United debutant Tyler Blackett made more passes than any other player on the pitch during Manchester United's 1-2 loss to Swansea, completing 84 out of 90 of his passes. The next two on the list are fellow United defenders Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. Busy day in the office for the Red Devils defence.
2) The match with the highest number of attempts on goal this weekend was Queens Park Rangers' game against Hull City. There was a combined total of 30 shots on goal (19 for QPR, 11 for Hull), with only 10 on target (6 to QPR, 4 to Hull). James Chester scored the only goal of the game, heading in a 52nd minute winner for the Tigers from a corner kick situation.
3) Sunderland's Patrick van Aanholt had a productive day for his new team against West Bromwich Albion, registering a game-high 5 tackles, 8 interceptions and 8 clearances. The 23-year-old spent last season on loan at Vitesse, before his move from Chelsea to Sunderland in pre-season.
4) Tottenham Hotspurs' Kyle Naughton became the first player sent off this season when he was adjudged to have blocked a Kevin Nolan effort with his hand in the 29th minute of the game against West Ham. Mark Noble missed the subsequent penalty and Spurs went on to win the game with an Eric Dier solo effort.
5) West Ham's 10 shots off target was the most of any Premier League side on the weekend. Ricardo Vaz Te accounted for three of those efforts, before being taken off for Mohamed Diame in the 68th minute.
6) Brede Hangeland's goal on debut for Crystal Palace was his first in the Premier League since 15 May 2011, when he scored a brace for Fulham against Birmingham. Strangely enough, he was the Cottagers' second highest top-scorer with 6 goals (behind Clint Dempsey) that season but then failed to notch another till his move this year.
7) It may have been late and it might not have been pretty, but Aaron Ramsey's injury time winner over Crystal Palace made it 100 Premier League wins for the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium.
8) Crystal Palace's Marouane Chamakh committed a Premier League-high 11 fouls this round during the match against Arsenal. The next highest in any other match was Cheikhou Kouyate's 5 fouls for West Ham against Tottenham.
9) Jack Wilshere was also the most fouled player this weekend, being stopped in his tracks by illegal means 6 times against Crystal Palace in his 69 minutes on the pitch.
10) Branislav Ivanovic has now notched 17 Premier League goals for Chelsea after scoring in the season opener against Burnley. This is only three less than a certain Fernando Torres has managed for the Stamford Bridge outfit.