Newcastle's slender success at home to Aston Villa, as seen through the eyes of FREE Stats Zone...
A second win for Newcastle boss John Carver, and second defeat in as many games for Tim Sherwood, in a close encounter on Tyneside.
The goal-shy Villans were made to pay for their proflgacy at St James' Park, having already fashioned 5 opportunities when Papiss Cisse struck his 11th goal of the campaign.
Christian Benteke, whose link-up with Brad Guzan was the game's top pass combination (13), saw an effort ruled out for offside, but the Midlanders have now lost seven league games on the spin.
- Newcastle scored with their first shot on target versus Aston Villa.
- Cisse has scored 3 and assisted 1 more in 6 Premier League games against Aston Villa.
- Cissé (84) has the best minutes per goal rate in the Premier League this season (minimum 4 goals).
- In fact, Cissé has now scored more Premier League goals this season (11) than in 2012/13 and 2013/14 combined (10).
- Daryl Janmaat has become the first Newcastle defender to assist as many as 6 goals in a single Premier League season.
- Villa are without a win against Newcastle in their last 8 Premier League games (D3 L5).
- Villa haven’t scored a second half goal on the road since the opening day of the season.
- Villa have scored just 3 goals in their last 12 Premier League matches.
- The Villans are now 12 Premier League games without a win (D3 L9), only once in the competition’s history have they gone longer without victory (13, ended in September 2012).