A significant victory for the Black Cats on a tough day for strugglers, as seen through the eyes of Stats Zone...
Jermain Defoe's first goal for Sunderland helped Gus Poyet's men to a relieving 2-0 win over fellow strugglers Burnley at the Stadium of Light.
Connor Wickham's third league goal of the season fired the Black Cats ahead after 20 minutes, before Defoe struck a second before half-time.
On a day where Leicester, QPR, Hull, West Brom, Crystal Palace and Burnley all lost, this was a huge three points for the north-east side, who lift themselves four points above the drop zone.
- Sunderland have won 7 and lost 0 of their last 9 home games against Burnley in league competition.
- Sunderland scored with 2 of their 3 shots on target versus Burnley.
- The Clarets have only kept 1 clean sheet in their 30 Premier League away matches, conceding 2 or more in 24 of them.
- Connor Wickham's last 5 Premier League goals have all arrived at the Stadium of Light.
- Burnley have conceded the most headed goals in the Premier League this season (12).
- Jermain Defoe scored his first Premier League goal since January 2014.
- Burnley are the 33rd different team Defoe has scored against in the Premier League (out of 37 teams faced).
- Defoe has scored in 14 consecutive Premier League campaigns.
- Sunderland recorded their first Premier League win in 6 attempts (D1 L4).