- Bayern have won their last seven games against Schalke, their longest winning streak against the Royal Blues. If FCB beat S04 on matchday 2, they would become the first club to record four successive Bundesliga wins away at Schalke.
- Schalke have lost their first two competitive games of the season for the first time in 16 years – that last happened in 1998 under Huub Stevens. The last time they suffered three straight competitive defeats at the start of a campaign was in 1987 under Rolf Schafstall.
- S04 have won 10 of their last 12 Bundesliga home games (D1, L1). They have lost just one of their last 18 opening home games in the BL (W11, D6) – they suffered a 2-1 defeat to Hannover 96 on matchday 2 of the 2010/11 campaign.
- Bayern have lost just one of their last 36 away games in the league (W31, D4) –
a 1-0 defeat at FC Augsburg on matchday 29 last season.
- Last season's top scorer Robert Lewandowski is without a goal in his first three competitive games for FC Bayern. He had to wait until matchday 4 to open his account in his first season at Dortmund, scoring in a 3-1 win away at Schalke.
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has scored nine times in his last 11 Bundesliga games. His tally of 11 goals makes him the most prolific BL goalscorer in 2014 together with Josip Drmic.
- Manuel Neuer has won all six of his Bundesliga games against his former club, conceding just one goal. He was at Schalke between 1991 and 2011, making
156 BL appearances for the Royal Blues.
- Bayern's Jerome Boateng is the half-brother of Schalke's Kevin-Prince Boateng. They played together at Hertha BSC for 2 BL games in 2007. There was a 2-2 draw between Jerome's Germany and Kevin-Prince's Ghana during the 2014 World Cup group phase.
- Thomas Müller has recorded five goals and four assists in eight BL games against the Royal Blues – all in just 641 minutes. The Germany international has therefore been involved in a goal against Schalke every 71 minutes.
- Jens Keller has lost all three of his BL games against Bayern as a manager, with his sides scoring once and letting in 13.