Bossing it: Your essential round-up of September's best coaches in Europe
A Brit abroad...
Colin Todd is one of just five managers flying the flag for Britain among Europe’s 53 other premier leagues – in stark contrast to a time when British managers were sought-after commodities.
Remembered for his heroics with Bolton Wanderers, whom he led to the top flight in 1997, Todd is now managing Danish side Randers. His remit when recruited in July 2012 was to lead the club to their first-ever league title.
Randers are currently 4th in the league table after 10 matches, having lost recent matches to Copenhagen and Midtjylland. Just five points separate the top four teams, but Todd will do exceptionally well to stop Copenhagen’s manager Ståle Solbakken adding to his five Danish championships in the last decade.
Battles to watch in October
- England: Louis van Gaal (Man United) vs Manuel Pellegrini (Man City) – October 25
- Germany: Pep Guardiola (Bayern Munich) vs Thomas Tuchel (Borussia Dortmund) – October 4
- Italy: Roberto Mancini (Inter Milan) vs Massimiliano Allegri (Juventus) – October 18
- Netherlands: Frank de Boer (Ajax) vs Phillip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven) – October 4
- Portugal: Rui Vitória (Benfica) vs Jorge Jesus (Sporting) – October 25
- Spain: Eduardo Berizzo (Celta de Vigo) vs Rafael Benitez (Real Madrid) – October 24
- Sweden: Andreas Alm (AIK Solna) vs Jörgen Lennartsson (IFK Göteborg) – October 26
- Ukraine: Sergei Rebrov (Dynamo Kiev) vs Mircea Lucescu (Shakhtar Donetsk) – October 16
Top 5 managers this season
Sámal Erik Hentze (B36 Tórshavn, Faroe Islands)... won the Faroese championship after a 17-match unbeaten run.
Pep Guardiola (Bayern Munich, Germany)... has won his first seven matches in the German Bundesliga with stunning attacking football, strikers Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller scoring 16 goals between them this season.
Zoran Mamić (Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia)... is on a 48-match unbeaten run in the Croatian Priva HNL League, and led the club to their first Champions League victory since 1999, a 2-1 defeat of Arsenal.
Thomas Doll (Ferencváros, Hungary)... has won nine and drawn one in the Hungarian OTP Bank League.
Alyaksandr Yermakovich (BATE Borisov, Belarus)... has lost just one of 21 matches in the Belarusian Premier League this season, with his team 12 points clear of nearest rival Dinamo Minsk.
Mamic will be hoping for a bit less of this soon...
Longest current league winning runs
- Norbert Hurt (FC Flora Tallinn, Estonia) – 8 wins
- Miodrag Božović (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia) – 8 wins
- Pep Guardiola (Bayern Munich, Germany) – 7 wins
Longest current unbeaten runs
- Vladimír Weiss (FC Kairat Almaty, Kazakhstan) – 15
- Stephen Kenny (Dundalk, Rep of Ireland) – 14
- Viktors Dobrecovs (FK Liepāja, Latvia) – 12