FA Cup quarter-final wrap: Ugly scenes mar Perak win while JDT record goal fest back home

Crowd violence marred the FA Cup quarter-final second leg at Selayang Stadium but it was status quo as all winners from the first-leg held on to their advantage to book a place in the last four.

We are part of The Trust Project What is it?

PKNS 3 Sime Darby 2 (7-2)

Sime Darby refused to sit back and accept defeat despite starting the match with a four-goal deficit.

The Red Ants showed their intent by fielding a strong squad and raced into a two-goal lead within the first 20 minutes, threatening another whitewash.

Gabriel Guerra opened the scoring after 12 minutes while former Malaysia international Ahmad Shakir Ali doubled the score six minutes later.

Sime Darby immediately responded through Korean Lee Gil-Hoon but Juan Manuel Cobelli restored their two-goal lead in the 65th minute. Cobelli had struck two past a poor Sime Darby side in the first-leg.

The KL-based club pulled one back through Frederic Pooda ten minutes from time but the match was long decided as PKNS still had a five-goal cushion to see out. PKNS next take on Perak for a place in the final.

Kuala Lumpur 0 Perak 1 (aggregate 0-2)

It was the same script again. Vokhid Shodiev missed a host of chances and Perak won by a single goal, again relying on their back four and goalkeeper Hafizul Hakim Khirul Nizam, who recorded his sixth clean sheet in eight matches, an impressive feat for the 23-year-old stand-in custodian.

Yet it was the scenes after the match that dominated headlines as the two sets of fans clashed, leaving a few bleeding.

READ ALSO: 'Football is not a warzone' – FAM condemn KL-Perak fans clash

Ahmad Khairil Anuar Ahmad Zamri, who starred for the Malaysian under-22s in the international break, came in for injured skipper Nasir Basharuddin and won the midfield battle alongside Nor Hakim Isa.

Photo: Football Malaysia LLP

Kuala Lumpur (KL) started brightly in both halves, almost scoring early on but for the brilliance of Hafizul barely seven minutes into the match.

Perak’s Nurridzuan Abu Hassan capped his fine performance with a stunning shot past Badrulzaman Halim from just outside the box in the 41st minute.

He gave a standout performance and could attract interest from Malaysian coach Ong Kim Swee for the next call-up.

Kedah 1 Sabah 1 (3-2)

Liridon Krasniqi picked up Kedah’s player of the month award and went close just three minutes into the match, but his header narrowly missed the goal.

The Red Eagles started without Baddrol Bakhtiar, who was subbed off in Malaysia’s pathetic draw against Macau on Tuesday.

On came young Farhan Roslan, and he won a penalty in the 22nd minute, which Carlos Kahe converted.

The 2015 Malaysia Cup runners-up, having impressed since being promoted to the Malaysia Super League (MSL), were expected to record a comfortable win but failed to convert chances in front of a near 25,000 crowd at the Darul Aman Stadium.

Ummareng Bacok headed an equaliser just before the hour mark, threatening a Sabah comeback. The Rhinos needed one more to push the tie to extra time and Kedah’s late slip in the first-leg suddenly looked like it could have been a costly one.

The host held on to book their place in the last four.

Johor Darul Ta’zim 5 PDRM 2 (6-2)

The Southern Tigers put on a stellar performance that even two PDRM goals in the second-half failed to derail the Malaysian champions on their road to the semi-finals.

Argentine hotshot Jorge Pereyra Diaz put the match beyond doubt with a brace in the opening third of the match, giving JDT a three-goal lead on aggregate.

Safiq Rahim then scored from the spot in the 41st minute after Juan Martin Lucero was deemed to have been brought down by goalkeeper Haziq Nadzli in the box despite television replays showing the18-year-old getting to the ball first.

The Cops collapsed and were stunned by another goal, this time a stunning shot from the edge of the box by Azinee Taib just before the break.

The visitors pulled one back through former JDT lad Andrezinho while Nizam Rodzi gave PDRM a faint hope of a comeback with a third of the match to go. However, any unlikely comeback in Larkin was put to bed by Lucero in the 66th minute.

Mario Gomez face Kedah in the semi-final in what looks set to be an explosive two-legged tie.

Main photo: