Devan quits Kelantan but keeps mum

After constant speculation regarding his future in recent months, K. Devan left the Red Warriors of his own accord on Wednesday. 

Kelantan are expected to name a new coach soon after accepting Devan’s sudden resignation.

Among the names already linked to replace Devan include former Kelantan coaches Bojan Hodak and K. Rajagobal, but with the club facing financial difficulties – having missed compensation payment deadlines – it is unclear who will want to steer the ship.

The 55-year-old Devan knew he was living on borrowed time after main sponsor Datuk Seri Hasmiza Othman and president Tan Sri Annuar Musa publicly criticised the team’s defensive approach at the start of the season.

Last week, Annuar said a major revamp will take place when the mid-season transfer window opens in June.

“I’m leaving because of personal reasons. I don’t wish to elaborate further at this point,” said Devan.

“I thank the Kelantan management, fellow coaches and players for the commitment they have given me over the last six months … but it is time to move on.”

Devan is the fifth Malaysia Super League (MSL) coach to part ways this season.

Terengganu were the first to yield the axe after sacking Ahmad Yusof barely a month into the season. Pahang’s Ahmad Shaharuddin Rosdi resigned at Pahang after a poor start while Jacksen Tiago was shown the door at Penang.

K. Rajagobal was the most recent casualty, after he was sacked as Sarawak head coach last week.