Malaysian FA Cup Wrap: Holders Pahang make light work of Penang

Pahang were the only East Coast side to emerge with a victory in Tuesday’s first-leg of the Malaysian FA Cup quarter-finals.

The FA Cup holders easily dispatched Malaysian Premier League side Penang as they recorded a 2-0 win at the Darul Makmur Stadium.

The Elephants, who were in control throughout the match, had the game wrapped up within the first 15 minutes.

They took the lead in the ninth minute when R. Gopinathan set up Hafiz Kamal for a long-range strike that left the Penang goalkeeper helpless.

They were two up minutes later when Hafiz’s free-kick hit the post but the rebound fell in front of Dickson Nwakaeme to tap it home.

Pahang could’ve scored more goals, but their profligacy forced them to settle for a 2-0 first-leg lead.

At the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium, Terengganu were made to work against Perak as they fought back from a goal down with just 10 players.

The home side conceded in the first-half stoppage-time when national left-back Zubir Azmi miscued his attempted clearance, lobbing over goalkeeper Sharbinee Allawee and into the Terengganu net for an own goal to give Perak a precious away goal.

Things got seemingly worse after the break for the Turtles as Ismail Faruqi was sent off for his tackle on Perak’s G. Mugenthirran just 10 minutes into the second-half.

However, despite playing with 10 men, Terengganu attacked relentlessly and eventually got their reward with seconds remaining on the clock when Paulo Rangel was brought down in the penalty area.

The Brazilian made no mistake from the spot against his former club and netted the equaliser to level the score at 1-1.

Similarly for their East Coast neighbour, Kelantan had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Sime Darby.

Colombian striker Erwin Carrillo raced through on goal after a poor back header by Halim Zainal to give the Red Warriors the lead.

However, they found it to be short-lived as Sime Darby pegged back two minutes later through Nemanja Vidakovic, who headed past Khairul Fahmi unmarked in the penalty box.

The only first-leg fixture left is the match between the LionsXII and JDT II, which will kick off on Wednesday April 8th.

The second leg will take place in two weeks' time.