MSL Wrap: Pahang, JDT suffer AFC Cup hangover

ATM ended their winless run with a 1-0 win over Pahang, while Sime Darby secured their first point of the season.

Nigerian forward Abdulafees Abdulsalam scored the priceless winner against the Elephants, who failed to break down Global FC in the AFC Cup just a few days ago, after being set up by ATM winger Venice Elphi.

Pahang had their fair share of goal-scoring chances, but their finishing deserted them that night.

Similarly, fellow AFC Cup competitor JDT struggled at bottom side Sime Darby, who avoided from becoming the first team to lose five opening matches in a row since PDRM did it in 2009.

Sime Darby's Nazrul Kamaruzaman tapped home into the unguarded net on the 35th minute after JDT goalkeeper Farizal Marlias rushed out to stop Nemanja Vidakovic but missed the ball.

The Southern Tigers had the ball in the back of the net through Safee Sali immediately after the break, but it was ruled out because he was adjudged to have handled the ball.

Despite that misfortune, JDT continued to press on and finally found the equaliser through Junior Eldstal.

The result put the defending champions three points behind Felda United, who became the outright league leader after defeating Kelantan 1-0 with an Edward Wilson strike at the Sultan Mohammad IV Stadium.

Perak, who were the joint league leaders with Felda going into this gameweek, stumbled to a 3-1 home loss to PDRM.

The Bos Gaurus secured the initiative with a Nurridzuan Abu Hassan goal shortly after the break, but their lead only lasted a minute as their goalkeeper gave away a penalty, which was coolly dispatched by Dramane Traore.

The home side then had a meltdown within the next 15 minutes, conceding two more goals and having defender Syazwan Roslan sent off, to suffer their first league defeat of the season.

Elsewhere, Selangor continued their impressive form by defeating Sarawak 2-0 at home thanks to goals by Afiq Azmi and Fitri Shazwan, while Faris Ramli helped the LionsXII to come from behind to draw 1-1 with Terengganu.