MSL Wrap: Selangor move into top spot while Kelantan falter again

The Red Giants took pole position in the Malaysian Super League while Kelantan dropped further down the league table.

The Red Giants were the biggest winners of Gameweek 7 as they came out 3-1 victors against ATM at the Tuanku Abdul Rahman Stadium as well as snatching the top spot of the Malaysian Super League from PDRM.

Afiq Azmi opened the scoring as early as the ninth minute before the Gladiators restored parity with a free-kick that deflected off Selangor’s wall and left Syamim Othman wrong footed in goal in the 25th minute.

Both teams went into the changing room level but Afiq again converted in front of goal in the 53rd minute before Leandro Dos Santos made sure of the three points for Selangor from the penalty spot.

Meanwhile, Kelantan’s woes this season continued as they lost 2-0 at home to Pahang.

Dickson Nwakaeme finally broke his goal-shy status with the winner against his former team, adding to Damion Stewart’s header.

The defeat left Azraai Khor and the Red Warriors in a bind as they dropped into the bottom three.

Speaking of Kelantan, the Crocs leaped above them in the standings after defeating Sime Darby 2-1 despite having to play the majority of the match with 10 men after Ramesh Lai was sent off.

A stunner by Swiss import Patrick Gerthardt gave them the lead before being cancelled out by Reinaldo da Costa with a penalty kick.

Crowd favourite Billy Mehmet, however, raised the roof in 71st minute and the Crocs held on for a well-deserved three points.

In Ipoh, Perak faced Terengganu again after drawing 1-1 with the Turtles in the Malaysian FA Cup, but the result this time was far from ending with another draw.

Goals from Vincent Bikana, Ismail Faruqi and Helmi Remeli were enough to see out Namkung Woong and Chad Souza’s goals, with the latter missing a vital penalty to give Terengganu a 3-2 win.

Felda United and PDRM also duked it out in a high-scoring game that ended 3-2.

The Cops opened the scoring with a long-range effort from Muslim Ahmad that deflected off a Felda United defender before a combination of Route One football and brilliant play by Ndumba Makache set up Ahmad Syamim Yahya to slot in the equaliser four minutes later.

PDRM then retook the lead through Ali Ashfaq, but two goals in the final five minutes of the game by Felda strikers Makeche and Edward Junior Wilson saw the Fighters snatch the three points.

The only game that ended goalless was, surprisingly, the match between the LionsXII and JDT, with the away side failing to make their dominance count.