Ugly scenes in Ipoh after JDT go four points clear at the top


A cameraman was assaulted and robbed in crowd violence after defending champions Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) edged Perak 1-0 to pull away from Felda United, who were held by Terengganu 2-2 at home. 

Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT)’s 1-0 win over Perak in Ipoh was marred by crowd violence, leading to the Southern Tigers fans being locked in the stadium until past midnight as tempers flared.

The Federal Reserve Unit (FRU), the country’s public order police, had to step in to get things under control as both set of fans threw bottles at each other and threatened to cause a riot. The JDT fans were later asked to gather on the pitch to prevent further attacks and were only allowed to leave at 1.30am.

New Straits Times Press photographer Supian Ahmad also got injured after he was attacked by a group of masked fans, who made away with his camera.

FourFourTwo understands Football Association of Malaysia is awaiting reports from the match commissioner before proceeding with action but do expect Perak to be hit with heavy sanctions as the incident was the third time in six months their fans have courted trouble.

In March, FAM fined Perak RM25,000 and handed a one-match closed door suspended sentence – pending further misbehaviour – after trouble following Selangor’s visit to Perak Stadium on February 16.

Saturday’s incident is expected to invoke the closed-door ban and further sanctions.

Perak were also previously warned to keep their fans in check after they threw objects onto the field during and after an FA Cup clash against Kuala Lumpur at Selayang Stadium in April.

JDT were smiling at the end of the day as Jorge Pereyra Diaz’s first-half strike turned out to be enough to gain an advantage in the title-race after Felda were held 2-2 by Terengganu at Tun Abdul Razak Stadium.

With only five matches left to play, the Southern Tigers are favourites to lift their third MSL title in a row and qualify for the Asian Champions League playoffs.