FA Cup Third Round reports

LONDON - Brief reports of FA Cup third round matches played between January 2-5 involving Premier League teams: Played on Monday: BLYTH SPARTANS 0 BLACKBURN ROVERS 1 Chilean international Carlos Villanueva's curling, 25-metre free kick in the 59th minute earned Blackburn victory over their minor-league opponents and set up a fourth-round tie at Sunderland. Played on Sunday: GILLINGHAM 1 ASTON VILLA 2 James Milner celebrated his 23rd birthday with both Villa goals, the second from the penalty spot 11 minutes from time, as the visitors won an excellent match against determined opponents from League Two. SOUTHAMPTON 0 MANCHESTER UNITED 3 Manchester United strolled into the fourth round with a straightforward win over Southampton, who played for almost an hour with 10 men after teenager Matthew Paterson was sent off for a clumsy challenge on Nemanja Vidic. United won with goals from Danny Welbeck, Nani (pen) and substitute Darron Gibson, who scored his first goal for the club nine minutes from time. Played on Saturday: ARSENAL 3 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1 Arsenal reached the fourth round thanks to two goals from Robin van Persie and an own goal by David Gray. Karl Duguid briefly gave the Championship side some hope but Van Persie smashed home the third five minutes from time to seal the victory. CHELSEA 1 SOUTHEND UNITED 1 A 90th minute header from Peter Clarke forced a replay for League One side Southend at Chelsea. Salomon Kalou had earlier given Chelsea the lead in the 31st minute heading home a Frank Lampard corner but a string of missed chances for the home side proved costly. HARTLEPOOL UNITED 2 STOKE CITY 0 A header from Michael Nelson early in the second half and a thumping 30-metre drive from substitute David Foley gave Hartlepool a shock 2-0 win over their Premier League visitors to put the League One side into the fourth round for only the sixth time. HULL CITY 0 NEWCASTLE UNITED 0 Shay Given produced a string of good saves to force a replay for Newcastle in a lively goalless draw. Hull defender Michael Turner came closest to breaking the deadlock but his second-half header hit the angle of post and crossbar. MACCLESFIELD TOWN 0 EVERTON 1 Leon Osman fired home a stunning right-foot volley, after neat chest control from the edge of the area just before halftime to put Everton into the fourth round. The League Two side pressed for an equaliser but the Premier League side kept their fifth consecutive clean sheet. MANCHESTER CITY 0 NOTTINGHAM FOREST 3 Nottinham Forest produced the upset of the round as the Premier League's richest club were humbled by the Championship strugglers. Nathan Tyson fired an unstoppable right foot volley past Joe Hart on 38 minutes with Wales striker Rob Earnshaw doubling the advantage from close range four minutes later for the Championship strugglers. Substitute Joe Garner nipped in ahead of Richard Dunne to fire a third past Hart to complete a miserable afternoon for the home side and increase the pressure on boss Mark Hughes. MIDDLESBROUGH 2 BARROW 1 Middlesbrough, who have slid down the Premier League table after a poor run of form, took the lead against the non-League side when Afonso Alves beat the offside trap after 23 minutes. The Brazilian was on target again from close range after 62 minutes before Jason Walker headed in a Steve McNulty cross with 10 minutes to go for the minor league side who, despite pressing hard, could not find an equaliser. PORTSMOUTH 0 BRISTOL CITY 0 Holders Portsmouth will have to replay with Championship side Bristol City after being held to a goalless draw at home. David Nugent twice went close for Tony Adams' side as did Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar as Portsmouth's winless run stretched to four. PRESTON NORTH END 0 LIVERPOOL 2 Albert Riera's superb 24th minute goal and a tap-in from substitute Fernando Torres, back after a long injury lay-off to score with the last kick of the game, gave Liverpool victory. Preston had what appeared to be an equaliser ruled out after 64 minutes when Sean St Leger's goal was disallowed after Jon Parkin grappled with Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher. SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1 FULHAM 2 A late strike from Andy Johnson put Fulham into the fourth round in a hard-fought encounter at Hillsborough. Both teams scored in the opening 21 minutes with Johnson putting Fulham ahead after 12 minutes before Tommy Spurr equalised for the Championship side nine minutes later. SUNDERLAND 2 BOLTON WANDERERS 1 Sunderland, beaten 4-1 at home by Bolton at the end of November in Roy Keane's last match in charge, took the lead in the 57th minute when Kenwyne Jones headed home Kieron Richardson's free-kick and Djibril Cisse made it 2-0 after 67 minutes. Polish international Ebi Smolarek grabbed what proved a consolation for the visitors 11 minutes from time. WEST BROMWICH ALBION 1 PETERBOROUGH UNITED 1 Peterborough forward Craig Mackail-Smith struck in the 87th minute to force a replay with the Premier League bottom club. The home side looked on course for the fourth round when Jonas Olsson scored with a glancing header after 64 minutes before Mackail-Smith's equaliser. WEST HAM UNITED 3 BARNSLEY 0 Defender Herita Ilunga put West Ham ahead against last season's beaten semi-finalists after 10 minutes when he had time to control Mark Noble's free-kick and tap in at the far post. Noble doubled West Ham's lead after 34 minutes when he scored from a penalty after being tripped by Mounir El Haimour with Carlton Cole completing the scoring in the second-half. Played on Friday: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 3 WIGAN ATHLETIC 1 Spurs ended a run of five matches without a win by knocking out Premier League rivals Wigan with a fine second-half display. Roman Pavlyuchenko put Spurs ahead with a 52nd minute penalty before Luka Modric made it 2-0 with a 76th minute header. Henri Camara gave Wigan hope in the 88th minute before Pavlyuchenko gave the eight-times FA Cup winners victory with a second three minutes into stoppage time.