Flamengo suffer five-goal drubbing

RIO DE JANEIRO - Flamengo, Brazil's most popular team, suffered their second successive heavy defeat as they crashed 5-0 at previously winless Coritiba in the Brazilian championship on Sunday. Beaten 4-2 at Sport Recife last week, Flamengo were quickly in trouble when Welinton put through his own goal after seven minutes. With former Inter Milan striker Adriano barely noticeable in attack, the visitors pressed the self-destruct button again four minutes before halftime when goalkeeper Bruno allowed Marcos Aurelio's shot to slip through his legs for the second. Tempers then flared as Airton (Flamengo) and Ariel (Coritiba) were sent off for fighting. Bruno Batata added the third almost immediately after the re-start and scored again just after the hour when Bruno failed to hold Renatinho's shot. Leonzinho completed the rout in the 76th minute after Bruno offered another rebound, as Coritiba finished with nine after Felipe was sent off. "I feel ashamed," said Flamengo coach Cuca, adding he would not offer his resignation. "The easiest thing to do would be to ask to leave. But that would be an act of cowardice and I'm not going to do it." Flamengo are 11th with seven points from six games. Corinthians striker Ronaldo completed seven weeks without scoring as his team were held 0-0 by Goias, one of three goalless stalemates in Sunday's seven games. Like his former Brazil striking partner Adriano, Ronaldo barely had a touch of the ball. Atletico Mineiro went top by beating Nautico 3-0 in a game of three red cards. Despite having Thiago Feltri sent off after only nine minutes, Atletico went ahead shortly afterwards with a goal by Junior. Nautico, playing their first game under new coach Marcio Bittencourt, were reduced to nine men after halftime when Vagner and Derley were sent off for bad tackles in quick succession. Atletico took advantage with further goals from Diego Tardelli and Marcio Araujo. Atletico, who have 14 points from six games, lead on goal difference from Internacional, who were held 0-0 at home by Vitoria.