AC Milan are willing to sign David Beckham until at least the end of next season, a source at the Italian club said on Wednesday. The England midfielder, on a two-month loan at Milan from Los Angeles Galaxy until March 9, has said he wants to stay with the Serie A club as he tries to increase his chances of playing at a fourth World Cup in 2010. "We hope to sign Beckham until at least June 30, 2010", an AC Milan source said. The former England captain will be 35-year-old by the start of the next World Cup in South Africa. Milan remain confident of sealing a deal by Friday despite the club director Umberto Gandini's trip to Los Angeles being cancelled on Wednesday. Gandini was expected to leave on Thursday to negotiate the transfer. "The meeting was cancelled by Los Angeles Galaxy, but this does not jeopardise anything," the Milan source said. Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani said on Tuesday there was still "a bit of distance" between the two sides over the deal. Talks have been continuing despite a deadline imposed by Major League Soccer to complete the move passed last week. Various estimates of the transfer fee required by Galaxy have been cited by the media after Milan's opening offer of five million euros ($6.3 million) was turned down. Some reports have said Galaxy want about 12 million while Milan sources say they are only willing to go to eight.
18 February 2009
Get FourFourTwo interviews, features and fun in your inbox every week. For free!
Thank you for registering for our Newsletter
We will send regular updates on the ongoing FourFourTwo updates to the email address you have supplied.