More away woe as City humbled by Hamburg

Hamburg SV recovered from a shocking start when they conceded a goal after just 35 seconds to beat Manchester City 3-1 in an action-packed UEFA Cup quarter-final, first leg on Thursday. Martin Jol's team, who are also chasing the Bundesliga title, were rocked when Stephen Ireland put the visitors ahead almost straight from the kickoff after a smart interchange with Robinho. The home side equalised when Joris Mathijsen powered in a header from a corner after nine minutes and took the lead in the 63rd with a Piotr Trochowksi penalty for handball by Micah Richards. Substitute Paolo Guerrero gave Hamburg a two-goal advantage to take into next Thursday's second leg in Manchester when he slammed in their third from close range in the 79th minute. "We'd like to forget the first minute, but then after that we played well," said Jol. "It was a big wake-up call, but we played well in the first half and had five or six great chances and we could have been three or four up by the second half," he told ITV Sport. Hamburg would have won by a far bigger margin if City goalkeeper Shay Given had not been in such outstanding form, but City will feel they have everything to play for with an away goal to their credit. "In the end we did concede three but we showed tonight that we can cause them problems and it will be a big night at Eastlands in a week's time," City manager Mark Hughes told ITV. "I said to the guys none of them should think the tie is over, because we can score goals in the return leg." IRELAND SHOCK Ireland stunned Hamburg when he interchanged passes with Robinho and made a long run for the return ball which he slotted past the goalkeeper with a precise shot. That goal set the tone for an exhilarating first half in which Hamburg carried the game to City with a series of superb counter-attacking moves and a well deserved equaliser after nine minutes. Given had already made three excellent saves after some breathtaking Hamburg attacks, but although he got a hand to Mathijsen's powerful near-post header, he could not stop it flying into the back of the net. Hamburg went ahead just past the hour when Richards handled an acrobatic effort from Mathijsen and Trochowski slammed the penalty past Given. Trochowski then set up Hamburg's third for Guerrero, who swept the ball high into the City net from close range eight minutes after replacing Olic.