Premier League reports

LONDON - Brief reports of English Premier League games played on Sunday: ARSENAL 1 PORTSMOUTH 0 William Gallas broke the deadlock nine minutes from time when he outjumped Portsmouth keeper David James and headed home just when it seemed the match was heading for a draw. Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch hit the woodwork in the first half and Emmanuel Adebayor failed to take two good chances before Arsenal sealed the points and ended a run of three straight league draws. BLACKBURN ROVERS 2 MANCHESTER CITY 2 Former Blackburn boss Mark Hughes appeared to be heading for a defeat with Manchester City on his return to Ewood Park after Jason Roberts headed the home side 2-0 ahead after 84 minutes. Blackburn, unbeaten under new coach Sam Allardyce, had taken the lead when Benni McCarthy pounced at the end of the first half, but City battled back for a point. Danny Sturridge gave them hope by volleying home after 88 minutes and supplied the pass for Robinho who equalised with virtually the last kick of the game in the fourth minute of stoppage time. BOLTON WANDERERS 0 WIGAN ATHLETIC 1 Wigan went ahead at the end of the first half when Andy O'Brien fouled Henri Camara in the box and Amr Zaki converted the penalty for his 11th goal of the season and his fourth from the spot. Bolton went close to scoring when Wilson Palacios headed off his own line and into the arms of goalkeeper Mike Pollitt and they went close again soon after when Kevin Davies hit the post, but Wigan held on for their fifth win in six matches. EVERTON 3 SUNDERLAND 0 Sunderland, in action for the first time since caretaker boss Ricky Sbragia was appointed as the full-time boss, fell behind after only 10 minutes when Mikel Arteta powered home a swerving 25-metre free-kick which gave Sunderland keeper Marton Fulop no chance. Arteta doubled Everton's lead after 27 minutes when his free-kick hit the wall and bounced back to him, with his follow-up shot deflected in. Teenager Dan Gosling completed the scoring with his first goal for Everton and their third, seven minutes from time. FULHAM 2 CHELSEA 2 A thrilling west London derby ended all-square with Clint Dempsey equalising for Fulham a minute from the end. Fulham took the lead after 10 minutes when Dempsey flicked the ball home at the far post after a Simon Davies free-kick flew across the face of the goal. Frank Lampard, who ended a 10-match run without a goal against West Bromwich Albion on Friday, scored again with the equaliser five minutes into the second half after a mix-up between Aaron Hughes and goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. Lampard put Chelsea ahead after 72 minutes when he scored with an audacious free-kick that flew through the wall and gave Schwarzer no chance. Dempsey headed home Fulham's equaliser from Simon Davies's corner in the dying minutes. NEWCASTLE UNITED 1 LIVERPOOL 5 Liverpool scored their biggest win of the season, demolishing an abject Newcastle with an almost non-stop display of attacking football. Newcastle keeper Shay Given made three good stops before Liverpool went ahead through Steven Gerrard (31 minutes). Sami Hyypia made it 2-0 five minutes later before David Edgar gave Newcastle some hope with a reply at the end of the first half. Liverpool though added three more in the second half through Ryan Babel (50th), Gerrard (66th) and Xabi Alonso who made it 5-1 with a 76th minute penalty. WEST BROMWICH ALBION 2 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0 Roman Bednar, who headed the late winner against Manchester City last Sunday, put West Brom ahead seven minutes from time to steer the bottom-of-the-table Baggies towards their second successive home win. Craig Beattie added the second in stoppage time to leave Spurs winless in four. Spurs defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto was red carded after 30 minutes by referee Steve Tanner when he misjudged a tackle and fouled Gianni Zuiverloon. WEST HAM UNITED 2 STOKE CITY 1 West Ham, who had failed to win their previous six home league matches, ended that run when Diego Tristan scored the winner two minutes from time. The Hammers went behind after only four minutes when Abdoulaye Faye, left unmarked at the far post at a Danny Pugh corner, headed Stoke City ahead. West Ham surged back looking for the equaliser which came when Carlton Cole scored after 51 minutes. Two minutes after that Stoke suffered another blow when Ricardo Fuller was sent off for slapping his team mate Andy Griffin following the goal. Playing on Monday: Manchester United v Middlesbrough Playing on Tuesday: Hull City v Aston Villa