BARCELONA - The 10-match ban given to Real Madrid defender Pepe for his sending-off against Getafe was excessive and the champions may appeal, coach Juande Ramos said on Saturday. "It seems to me a bit over the top but I respect the committee," Ramos said at a news conference. "I completely accept the decision but let's wait and see what the club says and if we appeal something or let it rest." With the scores level at 2-2 and three minutes left in the match at the Bernabeu, Pepe pushed Getafe's Francisco Casquero and the referee awarded a penalty. There followed an extraordinary loss of control from Pepe, who kicked the prone Casquero twice and struck another Getafe player, Juan Albin, in the face. He was shown a straight red card, having already picked up a yellow earlier in the match. He verbally abused the fourth official as he left the pitch and then came back on to celebrate Gonzalo Higuain's late winner. The Spanish football federation banned Pepe for one game for the red card, eight games for aggression towards opponents and one more match for his offensive remarks. NEWS: Pepe punished with 10 match ban NEWS: Disgraced Pepe pondering retirement NEWS: Pepe facing lengthy ban NEWS: Ramos defends Pepe over kicking incident REAL MADRID FANS! Check FourFourTwo.com’s ever-expanding interviews section for more stuff to read: Q&A Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Raul, Robinho, Fabio Cannavaro, Fabio Capello, Samuel Eto'o One on One Michael Owen, Ronaldo, Nicolas Anelka, David Beckham Web Exclusives Guus Hiddink And Another Thing Best league in the world? Sing When You’re Winning Rafael Nadal My Secret Vice Michel Salgado Perfect XI Gheorghe Hagi Plus! Rate Real players (and others) on Talentspotter
25 April 2009
Get FourFourTwo interviews, features and fun in your inbox every week. For free!
Thank you for registering for our Newsletter
We will send regular updates on the ongoing FourFourTwo updates to the email address you have supplied.