Shakhtar secure UEFA Cup after extra-time

ISTANBUL - Brazilian Jadson struck an extra-time winner to secure Shakhtar Donetsk a 2-1 victory over Werder Bremen in the last UEFA Cup final on Wednesday. Jadson's first-time shot from Darijo Srna's cross seven minutes into the first extra period squirmed under keeper Tim Wiese and Shakhtar became the first Ukrainian team to win a major European trophy since the break up of the Soviet Union. Shakhtar were the third former Soviet club to win the UEFA Cup in five seasons following victories for CSKA Moscow in 2005 and Zenit St Petersburg last year. "It was important not to allow Werder to play to their style, we contolled the game and we created most of the chances," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucesu told reporters. Brazilian Luiz Adriano had put Shakhtar, in their first European final, ahead with a neat finish after 25 minutes but compatriot Naldo equalised before halftime after keeper Andriy Pyatov fumbled his well-struck free kick into the net. Shakhtar, pleasing on the eye with slick one-touch passing, threatened at times to carve Werder apart but the Bundesliga side, desperately missing the creativity of suspended playmaker Diego, defended stoutly. Lucescu included all five of his Brazilian players in an attack-minded starting side and they soon made their prescence felt as Ilsinho and Jadson combined to create a chance for Adriano but he blazed wide. Werder replied with Frank Baumann's snapshot off-target and Clemens Fritz fired over the bar but Shakhtar soaked up the pressure and hit Werder on the break. Left back Razvan Rat's incisive pass was collected by Adriano, who skipped into the penalty area and clipped his shot over Wiese. STRETCHED DEFENCE Adriano, finding plenty of space to run into the channels behind Werder's stretched defence, should have doubled Shakhtar's advantage soon after from another lightning break but failed to test Wiese with a wild shot. Despite lacking a cutting edge, Werder were handed their equaliser by Pyatov, the keeper inexplicably allowing Naldo's free kick, which was struck straight at him from 25 metres, to deflect in off his gloves. The half ended with Shakhtar again on top, though, Mariusz Lewandowski forcing a full-length save from Wiese who turned his stinging drive around the post. A less entertaining second half brought few chances of note. Wiese parried away Jadson's curling free kick soon after the restart and Werder substitute Aaron Hunt almost made a telling contribution 13 minutes from time but poked wide from close range after Pizarro's flicked header had been parried by Pyatov. "We were just not fast enough and not just effective enough, we were not able to put any pressure on our opponents," Werder coach Thomas Schaaf said. The UEFA Cup will become the Europa League next season, a revamped competition UEFA hopes will enhance the image and profile of European football's second-tier tournament.