ROME - French striker David Trezeguet is staying at Juventus after deciding a prospective move to Serie A rivals AC Milan would be tantamount to betraying the Turin club. Last month, new Milan coach Leonardo said the side were considering solving their striker shortage by making an audacious bid for the 31-year-old, who has been at Juve since 2000. "We spoke to Leonardo, to (Milan chief executive Adriano) Galliani," Trezeguet told Tuesday's La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Milan's esteem has been important for me over the last few months but at the same time, I have realised I'm bonded to Juventus, who I thank for giving me the chance to become what I am. "It would have seemed a betrayal of the fans and my team mates, who deserve respect." Juventus had said they were considering bids for Trezeguet after he slipped down the pecking order under former coach Claudio Ranieri, who was sacked towards the end of last season. However, the former France international is confident that he can play a lead role next term under new boss Ciro Ferrara. "The decisive feature for me was that the club, the coach and my team mates have made me see that I can still be important for this team," he said.